Life's Ride!

En veetu samayal.com

For my people will live as long as trees...For they are people blessed by the Lord,and their children too, will be blessed. I will answer them before they even call to me. While they are still talking about their needs,I will go ahead and answer their prayers! Isaiah 65:22-24

Monday, December 19, 2016

Sanskrit maami 's Paruppu milagai podi!!

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 04, 2007


Sanskrit maami 's Paruppu milagai podi!!



Sanskrit maami's paruppu milagai podi!!

Growing up ,i remember there always used to be a huge bottle of paruppu milagai podi on the fridge ,to be had when we kids were fed up of eating eggs,chutneys or sambhar with our idli & dosai breakfast. In case we kicked up a fuss to eat dosai & chutney , my mom would quickly take some milagai podi, mix it with some melted ghee & give it to us to be had with dosai or idlis, or chop a banana, sprinkle some sugar on it, fry it in ghee & will give it to us ! No question of missing the morning breakfast! Nowadays since i have started cooking idli & dosais regularly, i was reminded of this chutney pwd & called up my mother for the recipe. She told me " oh, the milagai podi recipe? Very easy! just grind some urad dal, dry red chillies...... etc together( a very simple & basic recipe)& serve"! But there was no mention of the coconut, jaggery etc in her recipe. So i asked her impatiently,"But amma ,dont you add coconut ,jaggery etc ,for i still remember the taste of jaggery & coconut in the podi"! To which she replied,"Oh! that one? It was sanskrit maami( A paati who taught sanskrit in my aunt's school in bangalore) who used to regularly supply me with that podi! but nowadays i prepare paruppu podi like this only for your appa & he prefers this recipe! Try it this way ,very simple & you will like it"! And since sanskrit maami no longer worked in my aunt's school, i was thinking to myself that perhaps this recipe was lost for ever!! So imagine my happiness ,when i found the recipe on 'mangayar choice'! I quickly noted it down & tried it out in my kitchen & found that it tasted just like Sanskrit maami's paruppu milagai podi!!:)) Try it & you will love it!;))


Ingredients:
Toor dal - 1/2 cup, urad dal - 1/4 cup, channa dal - 1/4 cup, dry grated coconut( do not use copra) - 1/2 cup, salt to taste, asafoetida - 1/2 tsp, mustard seeds - 1 tsp, dry red chillies - 8 to 10 , tamarind - 1 tsp , jaggery - 1 tsp.

Method:

Dry roast the toor dal, urad dal & channa dal ,one by one separately & keep aside. Then dry roast the rest of the ingredients together except the salt & allow to cool. Once all the ingredients have cooled down, combine everything together & grind to a coarse powder ( sand like consistency) . Store in an airtight container & serve with idli, dosai or rice.

Recipe source: 'Mangayar choice' , Sun tv samayal! I used 10 chillies & the unsweetened grated dry coconut . My mother also advised me not to use the tamarind paste ( hence i used the normal tamarind) to prepare this podi . This tastes great with idlis & dosais, but try it with some steaming hot rice & a tsp of ghee ( my favourite way to eat this podi!) , pure heaven!:))



14 Comments:

Blogger Nags said...
is it really this time in your part of the world?
10/01/2007 04:35:00 PM  
Blogger Asha said...
Sounds and looks good Paati although I would cut down the chillies.You eat way too much spicy food!!:D
Thank you.
10/01/2007 05:49:00 PM  
Blogger Suganya said...
Is this thengai podi? I like to sprinkle thangai podi over curd rice..Wow... Heaven!
10/02/2007 12:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Dear Paati,

Good to see you back.Mouth watering recipes as usual.I love Revathy Shanmugam's recipes too.
Indo chinese noodles looks very yummy.I am going to try it soon. Your cookbook collection is amazing.It makes me more happy as we will get more new recipes.Take Care.

Love & Regards,
Kate
10/02/2007 04:37:00 AM  
Blogger Vcuisine said...
Just a scoop of rice with a little ghee and this podi is enough. With one papad, it will taste like heaven. Viji
10/02/2007 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger Pravs said...
Thanks for this recipe.. i love podi with idli and dosa..will try this out.
10/02/2007 08:09:00 PM  
Blogger RAKS KITCHEN said...
Love this podi recipe:))Will try it soon,coz mine just got over!!Thanx paatti for the recipe...!!
10/03/2007 07:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi Paati... I just chanced upon your food blog ...absolutely amazing ...keep up the good work...!!

kbd
10/03/2007 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger Kumudha said...
This podi tastes great with idlis and dosas. Thanks for the wonderful recipes!
10/03/2007 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger remya said...
idili n milagapodi mmm yummy n tasty!!! i was seacrhing for this recipe...coz amma made n give ma a bottle of it when i was coming here...now its goin to get over....hyyy i got it...thanku
10/04/2007 04:03:00 AM  
Blogger bindiya said...
though have never had this, looks exciting, will try it out,thx for the recipe.
10/04/2007 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger zlamushka said...
I ve never had podi, but read about different ones. I am becomming more and more tempted to try em ;-) This would make a nice gift actually. I am hosting A Spoonful of Christmas food event dedicated to foods as a gift, please come and have a look to see if you could come up with some nice idea. Like podi ;-)
10/04/2007 05:47:00 PM  
Blogger Rina said...
Hey thanks for the paruppu maligu podi. My hubby being a tamilian will enjoy this. I like the name of your blog which attracted me to come here. Wow!!! one more from our Tamil Nadu.
10/04/2007 08:53:00 PM  
Blogger paati said...
thank you everybody for your sweet comments.:)
dear kate the books on the blog are just a drop in the ocean,more books to follow!!:) had gone wild with cookbook shopping but now i can 'rest in peace' for i have almost all the titles of well known cookbook writers!!;)))
10/22/2007 02:03:00 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home